Thursday, November 15, 2007

Aquaventure (Atari Prototype 1983)

Given my love for many things seafaring, this unreleased title gives me the warm fuzzies. I can't tell if it's completed or not, but the difficulty increases gradually and I find myself fighting to beat my last high score. You are a diver with a spear gun descending through various stages of sea depths to grab a treasure chest and make it back up to the top before your oxygen runs out. There are various nicely drawn sea-creatures which you must avoid on the way down, and on the way back up. It's best if you try not to shoot them though...because they get replaced by fast swimming hard to hit fish that are more difficult to get around. Prudence is essential. A turtle keeps track of your air supply at the top. It moves from left to right....if it gets all the way to the right you lose a life. Now an appealing aspect to this game is that you have to touch a mermaid to complete the dive!! She carries you the rest of the way to the top were your air is replenished and your imagination runs wild!! This game along with the Classic Intellivision title Shark! Shark! help me get through the long winter months by giving me a taste summertime pleasure when I'm engaged in my water activities. Very pleasant, I must say.

Rating: B-

No comments: